Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011

Introduction to new marketing: storytelling



Storytelling… this is a concept that I haven’t been familiar with until my New Marketing class last week. I mean I have definitely experienced it before but maybe haven’t realized the importance it actually has. Especially in marketing, where one of your main goals is to sell your product, you need to be a great storyteller in order to attract the customer. As I have heard in one of Philip Kotler’s interviews today, “nowadays you need to try to get not only to the consumer’s heart and brain, but also to his spirit”. How can you do this? How can you be convincing enough to impress the consumer’s brain, heart and spirit? And the answer is: with a proper and exciting story! 


Through the storytelling each company actually expresses its brand identity, its values and principals. It creates a certain perception in the customer’s mind about the company’s spirit. In the best case, from the story presented, the costumer finds matching values or attitudes that he shares with the certain brand and he will be more likely to become a loyal consumer of its products. 


Therefore the storytelling can actually be seen as the hook waiting for the fish. Or if that seems for you a bit too cruel see it as the cherry from the top of the cake that makes you forget about your diet and calories and lose yourself in the pleasure of the moment. This is my impression from the first glance I took at this concept. It could seem too simplistic but hey...It’s not a good sign to start a blog on a too serious note so I’m not going anywhere, keep reading this blog and I promise you will also get some classical definitions about the concept of storytelling.

2 Kommentare:

  1. a very smooth definition of storytelling!I am starting to get fond of Marketing, all I have to do is just read these articles and everything will be very clear and easy to understand that`s for sure)keep writing, i liked it!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. one more thing...mm...keep it this way)

    AntwortenLöschen